Disease Modifying Drugs (DMD)
Disease modifying drugs (DMDs) are a group of treatments for people with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS). They reduce the number of relapses a Patient might experience as well as reducing the severity of any relapses. There are 12 drugs approved for use against MS by the NHS in the UK. Each drug offers a different combination of benefits and risks. Although relapses are rarely stopped completely, their number and impact can be decreased by taking a disease modifying drug (DMD).
Why use DMD?
- To stop progression. Stopping progression is important as increasing disability can have an impact on an MS Patients quality of life. This has proved a difficult area to research and, so far, the MS support groups report there isn’t anything which will stop progression completely. Some of the disease modifying drugs can slow down progression through their effect on decreasing relapses.
- To repair the damage caused by MS. Some researchers are looking at repairing the damage to the myelin caused by MS:
- Immune system attacking the myelin sheath which is a fatty tissue that covers the branches of nerve cells and is produced by cells called oligodendrocytes (glial cells).
- Neural Plasticity defines the various routes a ‘message’ can take through the nervous system, however if the area of damage is too large, this rerouting process is no longer possible causing the message to be blocked.
- Scarring, or otherwise known as sclerosis, is where scar tissue has formed post immune system attacking the myelin sheath.
Looking at the the scientific possibilities of the human body
Every single cell in our body has the ability to regenerate and replace its predecessor, in fact every single cell in our skeleton is replaced every seven years – Watch 3 minute Movie. Medicine lies in understanding how the body creates itself out of a single cell and the mechanisms it uses to renew itself throughout life.
The main goal in nutriment (Clinical Nutriment Courses), is to find ways to regenerate the body using nutrition (nutrition being the building blocks the very ingredient for optimal cell replacement), with the premise to engineer better cells each time the damaged cells are replaced.
The quality of each new cell is governed by the choices (eat, think, do) we make on a day-to-day basis. Your DNA, the genes you were born with, do not dictate who you are. Leading genetic scientists around the world agree: genetic determinism is a flawed theory – Click here to read more.
So, what we eat, think, and do every day of our lives dictates the design of our bodies and our choices can define what ‘it’ looks like.
Based on this scientific evidence, maybe Disease Modifying Nutriment (DMN) is plausible? Remember: The main goal in nutriment (Clinical Nutriment Courses), is to find ways to regenerate the body using nutrition (nutrition being the building blocks the very ingredient for optimal cell replacement), with the premise to engineer better cells each time the damaged cells are replaced.
Thinking differently – Disease Modifying Nutriment (DMN)
Can we reduce/stop progression of MS with nutrition?
We know MS is a process when the immune system attacks the ‘good’ stuff, the myelin sheath, of the body. This causes inflammation (lesions), which eventually leads to scars (sclerosis). Steps to consider when planning DMN;
- We remain unsure as to why the immune system attacks the body. My theory, based on the scientific evidence, is that if we can replace and regenerate (RR) better brain cells the immune system may alleviate the attack contributing to reducing the level of disease in each cell (Neurogenesis). Neurogenesis is an extremely exciting topic to see what it’s future looks like, click here to read more.
- Reduce inflammation by removing all irritants to the digestive system.
- Improve the permeability of the gut supporting absorption of all necessary building blocks for the gut and brain RR.
- Heal the gut to eradicate all intolerances. This will also support reduction of inflammation, stop scarring and allow more vital food sources to be consumed.
Timeline using nutrition to heal MS?
- Myelin Sheath cells regenerate and replace every 2-12 weeks (remyelination).
- To improve neural plasticity regenerate and replace brain cells every 3 months.
- Healing the gut (permeability, function) regenerate and replace every 5 days.
- Scarring (to be discussed in a later blog).
I am constantly being asked ‘please can I have the diet plan’? Unfortunately, it’s really not that easy. We are all individuals, and treatment plans should always be individual. There are three things that make a scientific study (EBP) plausible to individuals:
- The Study – research, scientists and laboratories!
- The Clinical Reasoning – what the experienced professionals are finding.
- The Patients Story – the individuals journey and their values.
I cannot give you a ‘protocol’ because we are all individuals, but what I can share with you are some Guidelines/suggestions. But before commencing, we must all consider the ‘Patients Story’.
Patients Story (my wife)
My wife’s Consultant and MS Team were keen for her to make a decision between one of two choices: Lemtrada or Tysabri, which were based on two important factors regarding her MS state;
- the inflammation of the lesions in her brain and spinal cord increasing in size and quantity and were aggressive in their state
- and the general reproduction of new lesions (brain and spinal cord) over 12 months had significantly increased
Other health factors that needed to be considered:
- gluten, wheat, dairy, cured meat intolerances
- allergy to nuts and onions since a young age
- multiple bowel problems on a day-to-day basis
- history of chronic amoebic dysentery or amoebiasis (18 years old travelling Indonesia)
- monthly seizures and fainting
- long history of painful menstrual cycles
- passionate about her career
There are so many mechanisms involved in squatting, some of these mechanisms are fundamental to the human design, others blow off the cobwebs and allow us to keep moving safely and efficiently. Reducing squatting exposes the joints to premature aging; knees, hips, ankles, spine, and pelvis.
Thumb joint corrects foot pain! Seriously?I know, crazy right? I must be mistaken? It has to be some kind of black magic? I'm pain-free because of some other factor? It must be psychosomatic?To be honest, I have heard it all now. What's important? My wrist is pain-free enabling me to get back to a normal life after 2 years of pain!
Jo Abbott on Twitter
Word of the day "Nutraceuticals" (a broad umbrella term that is used to describe any product derived from food sources with extra health benefits in addition to the basic nutritional value found in foods)
“Mina likens the current situation to fighting forest fires. This spring, many states chose to lockdown even when there were only a few embers poised to flare up on the perimeters — in New York City and a handful of other cities. Now…” — @RobertRoyBritt elemental.medium.com…
Informed consent forms for my next doctorate study agreed @DrJLake thank you!
Products to use